Jump to Content Jump to Main Navigation
Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law [MPEPIL]

Danzig, Free City of

Christian Hattenhauer

From: Oxford Public International Law (http://opil.ouplaw.com). (c) Oxford University Press, 2015. All Rights Reserved.date: 27 January 2020

Subject(s):
Ancient Times to 1648 — Since World War II — Sovereignty — Self-determination — States, independence — Governments

Published under the auspices of the Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law under the direction of Rüdiger Wolfrum.

1 The Free City of Danzig (German: Freie Stadt Danzig; Polish: Wolne Miasto Gdansk) was situated on the Vistula river delta at the Baltic Sea. The Free City included the major city of Danzig as well as Zoppot (Sopot), Tiegenhof (Nowy Dwór Gdanski), Neuteich (Nowy Staw), and some 252 villages and 63 hamlets (about 1900 square kilometres, and 350,000 to 400,000 inhabitants). The Free City existed from 1920 to 1939 under the protection of the League of Nations (‘League’). On 1 September 1939, Danzig was annexed by the German Empire and de facto lost its status as a...
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.