10 Questions of International and Constitutional Law and the Trump Administration
Our online resources provide clear and authoritative answers to complex questions of international and constitutional law raised by the new US executive. These resources have been made freely available to answer 10 key questions:
1. What are the limits of Presidential power under the US Constitution?
Powers of the President from Lou Fisher The Law of the Executive Branch
2. What limits apply to the President’s power to wage war?
The President’s War Powers and the War on Terrorism from Curtis Bradley’s International Law in the US Legal System
3. Can the US make Mexico pay for the wall?
Economic Coercion from The Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law
Commentary on Article 2.1 of the UN Charter (on sovereign equality of states) from Simma (Ed.) The Charter of the UN - A Commentary 3rd Edition
4. Can the US unilaterally suspend and renegotiate NAFTA?
Treaties, Suspension from the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law
5. Is it legal to discriminate against refugees and immigrants on grounds of religion or country of origin?
Xenophobia from the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law
Commentary on Article 3 from Zimmermann (Ed.) 1951 Refugee Convention – A Commentary
Discrimination on the Basis of Religion or Belief/Interreligious Discrimination/Tolerance from Bielefeldt et al (Eds.) Freedom of Religion or Belief – an international law commentary
6. How can the promise to set up “safe zones” in Syria be delivered?
Protected Areas from Clapham, Gaeta, and Sassoli (Eds.) The 1949 Geneva Conventions – A Commentary
7. How does the Keystone XL pipeline fit with existing US and international law?
US Climate Change Law from Carlarne et al (Eds.) The Oxford Handbook of International Climate Change Law
8. What are the legal limits on the interrogation of suspected terrorists?
Torture, Interrogation, Counter-terrorism and the Rule of Law from Samuel et al (Eds.) Counter-terrorism Law and Practice
9. What legal issues would relocating the US Embassy to Jerusalem raise?
Jerusalem from the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law
10. What is the legal basis of the US’ commitment to NATO?
North Atlantic Treaty Organization from the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law